New Contributor
jpsmommy

Re: new stay at home mommy needs advice from the pros

I'm a stay-at-home mommy to a 4 year old and almost 2 year. I've never stressed much about getting stuff done because it really never does. More just comes up if you do manage to get one list done. To do housework, I try to get it to be a game with the kids. My 2 year old loves to "help" dry dishes and can put some away, and I try to let both the boys do as much as they can on their own. My husband and I team up at night and over the weekend to get tasks done quicker, and we put limits on the time spent. We do dishes for 30 minutes together each night. If something didn't get done, it can wait until tomorrow. During the day, I will also say that cleaning is my independent time activity. That is about 30 minutes twice a day to get more done. I try to remember that I am a stay-at-home mom, not a housekeeper. I stay home with my kids because we feel it is the best way for us to care for them right now. I don't stay home to clean up after other people. We all share the responsibility of it and help each other out when needed.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
kimberlyto91583

Heyas!

I have been a SAHM since my son was born three years ago, and now we also have a little girl on the way set to debut in February. This August my son started Pre-K (he has an IEP because of a speech delay, so he got to go to pre-k a year early in an effort to improve his speech before he actually "HAS" to be in school), and I have gone back to school myself, so I have a little less time than normal, but my system helps me keep things pretty tidy. Well, at least I don't tell people to bring their own hazmat suits! Lol. When Julian (my son) was home I would try to get him involved in the chores (ie. I would spray the "windex" on the glass door and hand him a wash cloth, or have a "race" to see who could clean up the most toys in a specified time) but what really saved me was a "cleaning calendar" I found on pintrest.  I tweaked it to fit my house since the only dishwasher I have are the two attched to my wrist, and I moved my "chore of the day" from "Night Time" and instead do it during Julian's "nap time".

f3949676e2ef0fe6043d67c8798c40c9.jpg

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jktriplett08

Why do you all feel the need to distinguish between "your" children and your "step" children? Its weird. Just say the ages, does it really matter which is which?

Please use plain text.
ModChristine

I tend to say it (stepson) in certain posts because otherwise, people ask if I have twins because the boys are so close in age.  It doesn't mean anything deep I assure you :smileyhappy:  All 3 kids are a deep part of my heart :heart:

~ Christine ~
Mom to a sweet little girl and 2 busy boys
Please use plain text.
Announcements

Welcome to the community!

Please read the forum guidelines.

Moms-to-be, make sure to check out your due date club!

For questions about the community, send a message to our moderator, Christine.

2014 Parents Cover Contest

Ask a Question
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 243 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: